Monday, March 23, 2009

A Letter Home

(A personal note - Perhaps nine years ago, my wife Pam, worked with my father to tape his story. She also went through volumes of American and German documents and an unbelievable amount of letters home from my father before and during his years as a POW. Pam did this because her father’s health was failing and she had done the same with him, recording his life for future
generations. Pam feels that everyone’s life has a story to tell. The fact that all of these documents recording my father’s war years exist today is a tribute to my father's mother, Olive Hoel, who kept every conceivable record. Today, I received from my father the two very large binders of these documents and letters that Pam had organized and I was overwhelmed reading through even a small amount of the documents, particularly the letters home from my father at age 22. As I said at the beginning, I am not certain how this story will evolve but hopefully it will be told now more through my father's own words during the War. Today’s post is simply the letter sent from my father to his mother on May 16, 1943, the day before his B-26 was shot down. It is clear that my father had no idea what was to occur the very next day.)

May 16, 1943

Dear Mother,

The last couple days have been so beautiful outside all the time; so this is the reason for such few letters. We have also found a little action and will continue in it now and then. Things are much as we expected them for which we are glad. And now we are mighty proud of our B-26’s. Your papers probably carried an account of the “un-named” medium bombers who struck with much success the other day.

I suppose to-night you are all sitting about with Mil (my father’s sister, Milnore, who was a WAVE in the service), if she got home for her leave as you said she would. I am quite confident I won't be too long over here. The whole Axis program is meeting with less and less success each day. Soon they will be up against the wall just as their forces were in Africa.

This morning it hardly seemed as if a war was being fought. The sun was out so nice I took a long bike ride on some of the smaller roads. Everyone seemed so cheerful as I met them working about their houses. The country side is just beautiful this time of year. Flowers seemed to grow everywhere and all mixed together to give a beautiful picture. I only saw one car the whole time I was out, and quite oddly enough it was an American Jeep. This afternoon we got back to work and I flew a couple hours leading some new navigators in a formation. As I expected they were lost 10 minutes from the field and they couldn't locate themselves on the map. For us it is quite easy now and we can spend a little more time on such trips sightseeing.

I'm sure the more flying Grant (My father’s cousin) does in a B-24 the less he will like it. There is no support to it and I would dread the thought now climbing up to 20 or 30 thousand feet every time I went on a mission. They have to contend with the cold and the use of oxygen. Everyone of the B-17 or B-24 boys I've talked with wish they could be transferred to B- 26’s. None of us liked them at first but now wouldn't trade for anything.

How are you folks holding up with the rationing? I don't imagine you are starving. We had a dance in the officer's club last night and one of the girls I was dancing with said my hair was turning gray at the temples. I became alarmed so I ran into the boy's room and looked - quite to my relief I found it was just blond. I guess I haven't changed any from last September except that I'm little fatter.

My hut has a door at either end and in this weather we keep both of them open. One is not more than 15 feet from the main highway so people riding by can look right in. I mention this because just a few minutes ago a whole family came peddling their bikes by. I heard the man say to the kids “See, that's where the American soldiers sleep.”

Ken Tulpin wrote the other day. He said he was getting along okay but thought he'd have to spend the summer out there. I guess he's put on a lot of weight which he certainly could use. I have a few other letters I'd like to write tonight so we'll close this now.

Love,

Jim

Twelve hours later my father's B-26 was shot down , 40 of his squadron friends were killed and Jim Hoel's life changed forever.

No comments: